Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where is your synagogue?


Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God. ~John 12:42-43~


I think this is one of the saddest verses in the Bible. These men had seen Jesus and his works as well as had eyewitness accounts of other miraculous things that He had done. They had already gotten over the first hurdle of unbelief and the hardening of hearts but still they did not fully commit to Christ. These people are not willing to give up things in their life to follow Jesus. In other words, they love the glory of man rather than the glory of God. However, notice that it was fear that drove them to this. We tend to think of the glory that comes from man as pride or selfishness but it is also fear.


As I thought more about this passage, I began to ask myself, "where is my synagogue?" The synagogue was a place where these men were respected and probably loved since they were authorities. In short, this was their comfort zone. So I asked myself, "Where is my comfort zone?" Who or what am I so afraid to lose that I would ignore Christ's commands? Is it my family? Is it my church? Is it my friends? It could even be my position or my things. What is keeping me from a radical, life-changing life in Christ? Where are the naysayers that I listen to who are able to talk me out of the things I know I should do? What are the comforts I cannot see myself giving up for anything?
Jesus says in Luke 14:26-27 and 33 ~

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

The thing I think of when I think of the apostles as they followed Jesus was their radical devotion to him. In Luke 5 we read the calling of Peter, Andrew, James, and John had just caught the catch of a lifetime. They could have probably lived comfortably for quite a while on what Jesus had provided but they left it all and followed him when he called. Then there was Zacchaeus in Luke 19. He certainly didn't hold back anything. Not only did he restore all the money he had defrauded with interest (fourfold), he also pledged to give half of what he owned to the poor. These are only a few examples of the radical devotion that Jesus inspired in those who not only believed but were obedient to what He had called them to be.
A more modern examples comes to mind as well. I read about it in a Voice of the Martyrs magazine. There was an older man who was crippled living in a Christian village with his family. One day the village was attacked by a mob. This man (Baba) could not even walk away so when the others fled, he insisted his family leave him behind. The mob found him there. They told him that if he would only say the Muslim confession of faith, they wouldn't beat him. This man told them that he wouldn't say it and confessed Jesus as his faith. They mob beat him but he asked them how they could kill him because all life is in Jesus hands. Only God has the authority to take life. The men then threw Baba into a thorn bush and told him that they would take him out if he would say the Muslim confession of faith. As they turned to walk away, Baba called out of the thorn bush, "Kill me. Burn me. I will not say the oath." He was harassed by his persecutors for three days before his daughter came with the police. He told Voice of the Martyrs that his favorite passage is Matthew 10:28-31. It is the one that says not to fear those that can kill the body but fear He who can destroy both the body and soul in hell.
When I think of all these examples and the many more I read about every day, I can't help but think "What have I done that was that radical for Jesus?" For so many people just believing in Christ is radical and costs them so much. Yet I live in a country where it is relatively easy to believe and obey Christ. So I reiterate: what is the thing that holds me back from that? Fear of man is a powerful thing. Being labeled "crazy" or "kooky" or "freak" is certainly scary but what I am beginning to fear more is what happens when I come face to face with the God of the universe and He asks me "How have you glorified Me?" This is a God that no mortal can look upon and live. The One I am dependent upon for my every breath. How will I answer Him? Will I be able to show Him by my life that I believed in His Son?

No comments:

Post a Comment